Old 01-11-2009, 08:56 AM
patricej
Administrator

let me start by admitting i used to be stubbornly prejudiced against quilt shops because of the prices they charge. i swore i'd never set foot in one. no way ... no how. [the problem with this attitude should be obvious. having never been to one, how on EARTH could i have made up my mind so definitely? a few facts, based on actual experience would have been helpful, yes? :roll: ]

well ... i finally let a friend drag me to one. lo and behold, ya'll!!! while it was true that the vast majority of the fabrics in stock were grossly overpriced - even taking overhead and the "i can see and touch it in person" factor into account. But (and this is a BIG BUT) this owner offered a mouthwatering selection of fabrics on sale for prices that were very competitive with the online shops. AND i could indulge in the "see it / touch it". true ... they were 1-yard cuts from bolt ends, but there were at least two or three cuts on the shelves for each fabric. and there were fabs of all types and colors.

as expected, there was also a dazzling array of the latest toys and gadgets; several demo models of a famous brand machine there to be tested and drooled over; interesting list of classes for folks who are "into" classes; gorgeous sample quilts draped and hanging all over the place, etc, etc, etc ...

if this shop wasn't an hour away, her sale shelves would be my general starting point from now on. as things are now, though, i will stop in her shop if i happen to be in that area, but i will continue to do most of my shopping online to take advantage of the very significant savings.

however, if i know i absolutely must have a specific color or shade, i will make the trip and start there. AND if i can't find it on the sale shelves, and don't need a bazillion yards, i will even pay her price if she has what i need on a full-price bolt. (because the cost of my time spent fishing around for it online is higher than the difference between the prices. because i like to support small, local businesses when i can afford to. because she is an honest, ethical fellow-quilter who deserves a shot at staying in business.

the situation zoo described would not fall into that category. a measely, miserly 10% is no deal. if a shop advertises a sale, they should either make it clear that only a few things are on sale, or that sale should be on a wide array of things in all categories throughout the shop. and any shopkeeper who does not have the common sense or initiative to do a market survey to ensure her prices are competitive in that area shouldn't cry if she doesn't stay in business very long. like zoo, i would not go back to that shop.

encouraged by my experience with my "local" shop, i indulged myself at a few while in houston for the big show. i could write pages of praise about one, and got suckered by another.

not every LQS is a hotbed of evil and greed. not all are wonderlands of joy and surise bargains. approach each as a unique place, to be shopped with both open mind AND open eyes.