Old 01-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Roben

I agree with Patrice's idea of approaching each as a unique experience, and trusting your own judgment.

On the quilt I just posted pics of, there is quite a bit of background fabric. I decided after purchasing the initial amounts of fabric to do a pattern that would give me 2 quilts, so I needed more background fabric. All the fabrics I am using are from the same Maywood Studio line. I went to a local, high end quilt shop since I thought that was my best bet to find more. Sounds good so far, right? When we pulled the bolt, I thought it looked lighter in color (and felt thinner) than what I had purchased previously from a different shop. The sales girl confirmed it was indeed the only background colorway in that line, so I was good to go. I dismissed it until I got home.

Yep - it is noticeably lighter in color and weight. If it were only the color, I could put it down to a difference in dye lots - but it's thinner too. To add insult to injury, it was more expensive per yard than the first batch I bought :evil:

I could, I suppose, take my quilt up there and point all this out to them - but in my universe, I don't really see a point to that. I suspect that if that bolt was a lower quality bolt, the store owner already knows that. I will simply chalk it up to a lesson learned and shop elsewhere. My gut told me it was different; I should have listened :oops: