Old 02-18-2011, 10:14 AM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by FarmStitcher
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by FarmStitcher
Morning all, livestock fed, breakfast over with, now down to the nitty gritty~~~ I want to find my first treadle machine and I am thinking the 15-88 would be perfect. I want to piece, quilt and free motion quilt with it. I read on line that, "The 15 has feeddog drop and reverse and the 15-88 came with spoked hand wheel, most often treadle operated, but sometimes equipped with an original Singer motor." Does this one have adjustable foot pressure or would you use a walking foot or just a quilting foot? Does this sound like the best machine for me? Any comments? Sorry for so many questions, but I need to only make one purchase and it needs to be the right one. I can get a 66 anytime, but I don't think I would be satisfied. Love these machines!!
Linda
Linda, I have a 15-88 that I use for Free Motion Quilting. The 15-88 had a reverse, which is really cool. The 15-88 also does drop the feed dogs and you can get a short shank 1/4", generic type, foot for the machine. It takes a normal 15x1 Schmetz needle and is a dream to sew on! Yes, you can adjust the pressure on the foot too. The bobbin for the 15-88 is just a normal bobbin you can find anywhere.

The 15-88 is my favorite treadle and I have 9 different treadles, only one 15-88!

Nancy
Thanks, Nancy, I guess my research was good. Now I have to find one for sale! I appreciate your reply.

Linda
Linda, You can also use 15-89/90 too, but not a 15-91 in treadle. I have a 15-90 in treadle that I only use for FM quilting and it works!
You will need a darning foot, not a walking foot for the FM. The 66s are excellent machines, but the 15s do a better job of FM quilting because of the bobbin setup(vertical) and thread pickup. Have fun shopping!