View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Flying_V_Goddess

I'd be quite the hypocrite if I did think computerized quilting was cheating because I make quilt designs and ink and color my comics using PhotoShop on my computer. Its not cheating because there's still a certain amount of skill needed to run a computerized quilting system. Its just another way of getting the job done.

Our LQS has a computerized long arm and I remember she first opened her son was doing the quilts because he was better at it than her. She had to kind of force herself to learn the machine more when her son found employment. Computerized does not translate into "humanless". You still have to manually pick out the design, figure out how big it will be, where it will go on the quilt, and observe the process to make sure the machine isn't screwing things up. Its also not fool proof either---once I walked in there to find her ripping out stitches from a quilt's border because it wasn't stitched in the right place.

If computerized quilting is dubbed "cheating" because its "easier" then a lot of things quilters use should also be considered cheating because of how they have made different aspects of quilting easier: electric sewing machines, rotary cutters, different sized rulers, store bought acrylic templates, computer programs that make paper templates in any size you want, panels, jelly rolls, honey buns, turnovers, charm packs, any precuts, home versions of machines that make precuts, and perhaps processes that make manufacturing cotton fabric easier and using prints and dye colors that weren't available in the Civil War Era. Anyone who calls it cheating might as well go back to scissors and hand needles.