Old 01-12-2009, 07:13 AM
sunflower

Ksusan Have you ever gone in Gloria's Happy Hooker in the Sault? It's on M-129, not far from Joann's. They have beautiful fabric there and lots of it but it is a bit more expensive than Joann's - about $8.00 a yard. Next time you are in Sault it would be worth checking it out. Also, there is a place called Fabricland on the main street _ Queen Street - in Sault, Ontario, not far from the International Bridge. Half of their upper floor is dedicated to quilting fabric in several price ranges and they have frequent sales. I use all three stores for my projects. It's possible that the Joann's store in Sault, Michigan didn't close because they get so many Canadian customers.
I have lived in this area since 1968 and moved to Canada in 1984 after marrying a Canadian. I have been to Engineers' Day and Art in the Park at the Sault Locks. It's a shame about the Portage Street tourist trap area. Business has been going down ever since 911 and some of the stores have closed. Michigan economy and high gas prices are partly to blame. There are also fewer ships going through the locks than what used to. I have been to Iron Mountain. My mom lives over in that area - in Ontonagon.