Old 01-12-2009, 07:34 AM
Zoo

Wow, I thought it was just me?

About 9 or 10 years ago I made 2 quilt tops, one for my husband's parents and the other for his brother and his wife as Christmas presents.
These where the second and 3rd quilts tops I had ever made and not wanting to try and quilt them myself or knowing about LAQs I drove them 2 hours away to be hand quilted by a Mennonite women. I was very happy with how the tops turned out and ecstatic on how they looked all put together once I got them back.
When the family opened the gifts on Christmas the enthusiasm was under-whelming, I could have bought my brother/sister in law a new coffee makers and gotten the same reaction, 'tho my Mother in law was a bit more enthusiastic.
I was upset and a bit pissed and didn't make another quilt top for years.

Now I'm careful who I give hand-made projects to, I do have 2 quilts at a LAQ's being finished for me, they're going to my friend's 2 daughters, but I know both my friend and the girls will appreciate the quilts and take care of them.
I think it really depends person-to-person on whether someone will appreciate any hand made gift.
Zoo