View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 05:26 AM
Scrap Happy

I'm going to be making my 1st rag quilt out of denim for DH. I've read on this site and tutorials for rag quilts they they are very heavy and am now concerned that it will be way too heavy. I want to make it King size but could make it a queen size instead ... I really want to make this quilt for DH since I've never made a bed size quilt for us (have given them away.) What do you think?

Also we are on a septic tank and I read the thread http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-93034-1.htm about the damage that can be done to a septic tank from a rag quilt. At 1st I thought I'd just take it to the laundromat for its first couple washings and then read the post from the QB member saying that this can hurt the laundromat too if they are on septic. Since DH wants this large quilt I decided I would sew 2 old flat sheets together (creating a large pillow case) and put velcro on the end, put the rag quilt inside and roll up the sheet so the threads stay in the sheet. I know I would have to shake out/clean up the quilt and large pillow case and check the dryer lint trap every 5-10 minutes. What are your thoughts on this? I appreciate your help, thoughts and ideas.