Old 02-19-2011, 08:17 AM
watterstide

BRAVO GWEN! so long as our kids worked and or went to school we paid for half,sometimes all thier car insurance..

they had curfews, no matter how old they were..i had a big ben alarm clock,on the kitchen table, that got set to go off at curfew..it had better not go off,and wake me up, i had to work swing shift in a steel mill. they could not distupt my household,because they were "adults". lol
when they got tired of the rules, they moved out..had room mates that didn't contribute thier fair share..and so i would hear the complaints about thier "friends". they decided they didn't have it so bad after all..they are all grown now..in thier 30's, and are all doing great.

Originally Posted by Gwyn
I have had 8 turn 18 now. They are adults, but in Utah they don't get all the privileges until they turn 21. The hardest part was getting my sons to register for the draft. I finally had to put my foot down. They had to register or, I cut off funding for car insurance, and would report them to the sheriff. I don't harbor law breakers. The day I handed them the bill, they were both on the computer getting that registration done on line.

I told mine that we would house, feed, and pay car insurance provided they were participating in keeping the house clean and general upkeep of the yard, and house...& working & saving, working and going to school, or going to school full time. Honestly, Billy and Joey are very close to dealing with having to pay their own car insurance again because they have forgotten the going to school thing. February is the last month I am paying for insurance unless they can show me they are attending and making progress. Right now, they are messing around with lots of excuses.

I have found that the kids actually get tired of all the responsibilities of adulthood pretty quickly. I still have a 23 year old daughter and her 28 year old husband who live with me, but they are following the rules. They are both in school, working, saving, and helping take care of the house. It is a humbling experience to have to move home after getting married.