View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 09:53 AM
candi

LindaAnn, me and you must be the same bat going Against the steam,lol. I can't stand working with unwashed fabrics, but yet somebody make call it OCD, because I wash any piece of clothing when I first buy it before I wear it fior the first time and the list of things I was goes on,lol.

Not that ihave a fraction of the experience people here have, but based on trial and error, I just came to the point where I would buy at a least half a yard of anything, if I need very little, I may get a FQ, but never a quarter of yard, they shrink and fray so much in my washer, while FQ hardly do for me. Regarding batiks, My experience has been very unpredictable with how they react, I've had dark brown not blees, while light yellow bled like crazy...what I do, is fill my sink with cold water and dunk part of the yardage or the whole FQ in the water, swish it around and see if I notice any bleeding, it it doesn't, it just goes in the washer with like color fabric and a color catcher, if it does bleed, it goes with the pile to be treated with retayne before washing. This has worked well for me so far.

Sharon, I would think with your small pieces, just test them in the sink and see how they react, if they are going to bleed, they will almost right away.

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by sharon b
Ok have a question- with the batiks do you prewash them ? I went and got a bunch of 1/8 and 1/4 yard cuts- but am thinking washing them will create a mess :shock: any suggestions ?
Ok, ladies, here I am... the one going against the stream... I prewash EVERYTHING. I cannot work with fabric if I don't. The chemicals irritate my finger tips. Normally I toss everything in the washer on hot water wash, use scissors to cut the strings prior to putting in the dryer. I do use a color catcher cloth but I used to do it without color catchers and still had success.

I agree with the bowl method on 1/8 pieces as it would cut down on a true mess. Just my 2¢ worth. :-D