View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 03:37 PM
grann of 6

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
When I started quilting about 4 years ago I bought the fabric I needed, but soon saw the need for building a stash. When I started stash building I "collected" fat quarters. Recently I realized that while my fat quarter stash was useful, I had times where I needed more than a fat quarter of something to complete a project so went shopping.

Recently I saw a sign at my LQS that said "Finish the bolt and take 20% off". So each time I go in I get whatever it is I "need" and keep an eye out for skinny bolts. So far I've gotten some really nice batiks at a nice price - and it's a great way to build stash of "yardage" as most that I've found have been around 2 yards left on the bolt.

My LQS lady said the discount will apply regardless of how much yardage is on the bolt - just finish it. I need to keep this in mind when looking for backing! She also confessed to building her stash like this as well so we are now in competition :)

Do any of your LQS offer discounts for finishing the bolt?
Yes, one of my local QS does that. I have gotten quite a few blenders and designs that would fit many different quilts. If I am buying fabric and ask for a certain amount of fabric and find that there is just a yard or 2 left on the bolt I will get the whole thing.