View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 05:32 PM
sandpat
Power Poster

OK ladies, it seems that we haven't devoted any time to thinking about the scallops or discussing what the plan is to do them. Personally, this was a new learning opportunity for me.

There are a couple of ways to do the scallops. Some people have choosen to cut the individual templates either from the book or from the software and sew them on the individual tris. I decided that since I didn't want to have all those bias edges and risk distorting my border (mine have a tendancy to dance on their own even when they are straight), I would sew a long straight border on my center and then cut my scallops later.

I also decided to add an inch in depth to my scallops to make the quilt just a tad bigger. I used the software to print out a template, then I made a hard one by tracing it on a plastic notebook cover, and cut it out. Since my background is dark, I then traced it with a chalk pencil.

I then did the quilting prior to cutting the scallops out since the quilting will be pulling the fabric.

plastic template
[ATTACH=CONFIG]149414[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-149409.jpe