View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 05:45 PM
sandpat
Power Poster

After I finished the quilting, I carefully cut out the scallops all the way around the quilt. Before handling the quilt very much after cutting, I basted the 3 layers right on the edge of the quilt so everything would lay nice and smooth.

Since the binding will need to curve around all those scallops (and the deeper you make the scallops, the more difficult this is), you will need BIAS binding. You can buy it or make it. I make my own using the continous bias binding method.

To make continuous bias binding, you will need to cut a square of your fabric making sure that the straight of grain is straight with your cuts. Here is a great link that gives the info on what size square to cut and a couple of ways to make continous bias binding. http://www.quilting-tidbits.com/binding-a-quilt.html After you have it all cut...fold it in half longways and press. I like to use starch too.

After I got the binding made, I paniced...how in the world do I sew this baby on and make it lay flat? OK...take a deep breath and just sew slowly.

You will want to put the binding on the underside of the quilt as you sew and use your walking foot if you have one. Place the folded side towards the center of the quilt, with the back side of the quilt facing up. Leave a tail about 7"-8" and begin sewing about half way down towards the pivot point. Don't allow a "join" to be on the very top of a scallop, nor in the very bottom.

Place 1 pin in the bottom of the pivot
[ATTACH=CONFIG]150268[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-150263.jpe