View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 09:19 AM
Hen3rietta

A little background here. I'm a quilter, but I'm also a *real*, as in glass and solder, stained glass artisan. Once or twice a year I and my partner are vendors at a national quilt show where we sell quilt related pieces. Being on a budget, I often hang a fabric quilt top or two to cover the less than beautiful pipe and drape backgrounds. Last time, I hung a lap size top that I had made from fabric I had picked up at JoAnns and had been an experiment in kaleidoscope blocks. It looked really spiff, mainly because I decided I didn't like making the blocks and so I used up the bits and pieces making them into triangles and found a length of black that I turned into some sashing etc, etc. It was sort of an accretion quilt. I decided to eventually quilt it up and let my son's school auction it off. I had in fact told them I would give them this particular quilt when it was done.

Anyway, a shopper came up and basically importuned me to sell her the top, right there and then for whatever price I would name. This statement I took with a grain of salt. Anyway, a) I liked the final result myself, b) I had promised it to the school as a fundraiser and c) the fabrics were still readily available.

My answer was to a) offer to send her information on the raffle when it became available and she could buy tickets and b) offered to deconstruct the pattern and email it to her, which I did, only asking that it only be used for her personal use and that if exhibited I get mentioned as the designer. Never did get even a thank you for backwards drafting the pattern even though it took me half a day.

One of my non-quilting friends said I should have sold the top and donated the cash to the school.

I've attached a photo of the top.

What would you have done?

Winchester Gardens
[ATTACH=CONFIG]128943[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-128938.jpe