Thread: My First quilt!
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 12:35 PM
Phyl

Originally Posted by oarai
I know it isn't as exciting as some of the other quilts I've seen around, but it's still mine. I feel the need to show it off!

101_0420 by unkrikkett, on Flickr

It's about big enough to use as a lounging on the couch blanket, which I figure is alright for a first try. It was made from a jelly roll of some kind of batiks I don't recall the name of, unfortunately.

101_0422 by unkrikkett, on Flickr

For the next one I'm going to have to learn how to properly do the binding.

101_0424 by unkrikkett, on Flickr

The backing fabric doesn't match so well, so not many photos of it.

I've already got a few plans for the next ones lined up, I'm so excited!
When you find someone to teach you how to do a binding, find a person who likes/loves to do it! Many people hate to do bindings and will pass that negative attitude on to you. I love to do bindings and so do many others. It signals the completion of a job lovingly done. I put the quilt on my lap and hum away as I hand stitch the binding to the back (or front) of the quilt. It gives me great satisfaction. I found that the real trick is to practice on a few little samples until you feel comfortable with it. I always keep a teaching book with me so I can check how I am doing. You did a great job on your first quilt. You should be proud. Learning is the key to keeping your interest in this great passtime. Good luck.