Old 01-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Jim's Gem

I start in many different ways. The one I started the other day, I picked out a pattern in my collection and then decided that I would only choose from fat quarters that I already have, this time. So I picked out 20 fat quarters that would compliment/contrast with eachother, picked out a background fabric, a tan, that I had enough of and just cut away. Other times I will pull out a focus fabric, study it, pick out a pattern, then pull the rest of the fabrics to compliment or contrast with my focus. I love having a large stash cause it is so fun to just say "I feel like a .....quilt" and just walk in and pull the fabrics and get started. I have done that lots of times. Other times, if I am making it as a gift for someone, I will research their favorite colors, pull what I have in my stash that I think will work, and If I need something else, I will go shopping and then come home and finish off from my stash. I have a couple of patterns that are really quick and easy for me to do and they use 15 fat quarterss (or 1/8 yards) and 2 boarders. I love to use lots of different fabrics in my quilts.