View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 05:58 PM
grugirl

OK, I keep finding bits and pieces of how people are shocked at the price of fabric and how to continue to build their stashes despite it. I thought a post where everyone shared their tricks and techniques to still affording to build their stashes would be helpful especially in this dry economic time.
I will go first.

1. I seek out ESTATE SALES and get there when they open the first day.
2. I always look at all garage sales and ask as soon as I arrive if there is any fabric. I go directly to that location first.
3. At each new quilt store I visit, I ask for their ON SALE fabric upon arrival and find goodies there.
4. I too have begun to cut up old cotton clothing
5. I seek daily on CL for fabric sales - people selling their stashes at only $1-2 per yard. Most are $2 per yard and they have a great selection.
6. I buy from folks selling their stash in bulk and ask if I do that ahead of time if they will also cut me an additional amount depending on how much I buy.
7. Lastly, I sell items I no longer use or need to build up my stash spending money. This has proven to be very helpful and then I have cash when the right time arises.

I am very curious to know what everyone else is doing to build that stash. Please share!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-116357.jpe