View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 07:33 PM
natalieg

Originally Posted by PWinston
You did an outstanding job of fabric selection and in piecing the blocks. It will be a wonderful quilt when finished. Love all your colors and it is a lucky couple who will receive the quilt.

However, it doesn't appear that anyone has addressed your question re. your proposed border fabric. The border selection was an obvious success if it led you to all the batiks you've used in the quilt. With that said, it doesn't always work out to be the perfect border. I suggest that you lay the blocks out like they will be in the quilt and then lay the potential border fabric next to it to see how it will look. If you then want other opinions, take a picture and post that picture with your question.

If it doesn't work out to be the perfect border, you can always use it in the backing or save it for another quilt. Can't wait to see your finished quilt.
Thanks for the comments!I have changed borders and fabrics before, but this time I am really trying to keep the origianl border.
The brief story is that my oldest son is engaged and is planning on getting married around March 2012. She is away at college (been four years now) and getting ready to graduate. He has been away from home (Navy) for four years as well. So getting input on the fabrics can only happen when she visits her parents. I figured the best thing to do was to let her pick out the border and I would build from there (advice from several LQS). I spent several hours in a LQS with the border fabric spread out and we picked the other 11 fabrics. We changed all the fabrics listed in the pattern.
They all look really great together, but I didn't realize until the other day that the border fabric was only in two of the blocks. There is a lot more to the quilt than just those nine blocks, but no more of that fabric.
Seeing as it is the ONLY fabric that she got to choose, I really want to make it work. I think I am going to make the rest of it, then see what the border does. I will lay it out before I sew it together so I can see if I need to pull those two blocks and redo them.