View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 07:50 PM
grugirl

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
I am very careful in cutting fabrics and avoiding waste. That's the biggest thing for me. I don't keep the tiny pieces of scrap, but I try really hard to avoid waste otherwise. That goes for buttons, zippers, etc. Everything in the studio is worth $$$ if I have to replace it. I also cut up clothing that is in very good condition and salvage buttons, zippers, hook and eyes, and so on. Same with purses. Since I like to make purses for my etsy shop, I know the cost of purse components. I try not to purchase any notions for purses I make for family and friends (especially if they aren't paying).
This is an excellent point that you made about not wasting here Fluer.
I too cut off buttons and even save well made collars. I have used double sewn collars for all sorts of bands and such for husbands needs in wearing a night lamp when walking dogs or other things. Reusing all the parts of fabric and clothing and they notions they hold is an excellent way of recycling "Down to the Bone" if you will.
I also am a very thrifty cutter when quilting and sewing. I waste only the absolute amount necessary to get great cuts but preserve as much as I can. I am so bad that as I have been cutting 100's of apple cores out for a charm quilt, I even look at the itty bitty scraps and wonder... Can't I use this in some way and then laugh. we are talking smidgens of fabrics. LOL