View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 05:45 AM
Hen3rietta

Originally Posted by Gerbie
I just hope the lady doesn't use your pattern and try and sell it as her own.

I don't think that will happen LOL! At the time when I started to figure out dimensions and lines etc. I wasn't able to recreate it in EQ6. It isn't sophisticated enough to deal with triangular blocks. I had to do it in another CAD program. So the design was actually a detailed description of how I had built it and a quarter quilt placement diagram with the actual sizes of each block or sashing (they're all different) I had finished with.

I never expected such interest here, so for fun last night I tried to make a better version figuring I could post it for anyone who wanted it. After about half an hour, I realized I'd have to start from scratch with a calculator and graph paper and probably also rework the blocks or it would be devilishly difficult to follow without a hands on workshop kind of thing. I could recreate it, I could diagram it, but writing a 'real' quilt pattern is a whole 'nother story.

Trying to make a better pattern has got me to thinking that maybe I've done the person a disservice thinking she was rude in not at least saying thanks. Even though I had worked on the directions a couple of hours for her, the result wasn't a traditional quilt pattern, it was more like a blueprint for a new house. Maybe when she got it she thought I was being *(add your favorite perjorative adjective)* and just didn't want her to have it. Sorta of like giving someone your famous recipe but leaving out a key step. I did warn at the time that it grew of it's own accord so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but I'd feel a little bad if this is what happened.

I started this thread thinking in general about honor, commitments, and courtesy and in a way bemoaning the lack of it in this world we inhabit, and in the end have realized that I may have been hasty in my personal judgment. Even if I wasn't, there may have been many factors why there was no acknowledgment. Possibly as simple as a mis-entered keystoke in an email addy. Real communication is so difficult in a world that is bounded by electrons. But thanks to all who agreed with me that keeping it was the right thing. It's for the benefit of the hot lunch program and I'm hoping to finish quilting it for the Evening of the Arts that we hold in late spring. I'll let you know how it goes. :-)

Diana