View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 05:47 AM
Baloonatic

Originally Posted by bamamama
I enjoy the guilds but I can't do the sewing groups where you have to pack up everything and lug it to a destination and sit and sew all afternoon. Its just too much trouble.
Now I'm just the opposite! LOL! I belong to two guilds but I seldom go to meetings at #1 (which is quite clique-y) and I go to #2's meetings 'cause I'm filling in on the board. If there is to be a guest speaker at Guild, I Google them. If I decide I like what they do, then I'll go to the Guild meeting.
Now the Friendship groups are enjoyable. For 2 years I've driven 25 miles every week to attend one (that's today, YAY!), and then 64 miles round trip twice a month to longarm about 500 of the 750 philanthropy quilts we make a year.
I've been a member of the Presbyterian quilters (we meet weekly) for 5 years and a hand quilting group member at the Methodist Church for about 20 years (we meet weekly too).
I have made some dear friends in the smaller groups. The Guild meetings are all about business or presentations, leaving hardly any time for socializing and meeting new people. But they are trying harder lately as the word has finally penetrated :)