View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 12:13 PM
jlm5419

The top is complete. Now I'm stumped on how to proceed from here. I really want to finish this quilt myself, as it's been a labor of love for a wonderful daughter-in-law.

Because some of the shirts have rather large designs, this wouldn't lend itself well to tying the quilt, so it will have to be sewn. I'm trying to decide between a diagonal grid or a clamshell quilting design. I think the grid might be easier, because the machine will do the work of pulling the quilt through evenly. The clamshell design is nice, but getting it smooth and even might be challenging for a beginner like me. I've been practicing free motion on scraps from the quilt and am not really pleased with the results. I suspect it will be even more difficult on the quilt itself because of the bulk.

I've been using my trusty Singer 201-2 and I am having a little difficulty coordinating between the speed of the machine and the motion, and this results in uneven stitches and not so smooth curves, with evident jerkiness. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Quilt top for DDIL
[ATTACH=CONFIG]119547[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-119542.jpe