Thread: moving maybe
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 12:39 PM
GAgal

I grew up in that area of KC. It is so strange now to go back there because of all the changes in the landscape. I don't think there is a quilt shop in KC but there are several quilt stores in Overland Park, Olathe, Leavenworth and Lawrence. Each is a little drive, but the interstate takes you near them all. I got started quilting at the shop in Lawrence. It was a wonderful experience and I so miss it still.

You should go to Maywood Community Church at 112th & Parallel. It is a small (bigger than it used to be) and homey country-type church. The people are wonderful and will become your family. I have so many good memories of growing up in that church.

If you really want to drive, there is a quilt shop in Holton, Ks just above Topeka (some shops there too). Check and see if the shop is still in Overbrook, KS. That shop was in an old church and had tons of fabric and good classes. It is worth the drive especially if you enjoy the history of the wagon trails the people took out west. I think Ottawa may have a quilt shop also.

The quilt guild in Olathe is awesome. I miss some of these places so much, but I still wouldn't move back there. If you haven't found a place to live, my advice is Olathe or Gardner or somewhere in Johnson County. Wyandotte County is building up and is better towards Piper and Basheor. Tonganoxie used to be a day trip, now it takes no time to get there.

Good luck with the move. You will enjoy the Legends Shopping Center. Be prepared for the wind in that area. Don't buy a house with the garage on the north side!