Thread: A new tote bag
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Doris Sumnicht

Would you like a story about "very short" skirts? When I taught in a small town in a western state (that shall be not named here), in 1966, serious consideration was made as to what constituted "too short" appropriate skirt length, and of course, teachers were expected to enforce any rules on this. As a single, young (was 34) business/typing/bookkeeping teacher (training future employees?) I was somewhat assigned this task...I let my views be known that it was up to the girls and their mothers to decide what they wore to classes including length of skirt. Somehow judgments insued about character, modesty, etc., once at PTA--too much talk ensued on this unimportant topic so I told the principal//superintendent I was going to act. One afternoon I drove to a larger town and bought a black mini-skirt (horrors--27 waist, four inches above the knee), black hose, white silky blouse (high neck, long sleeves) and wore this often in the community with black high heels. Kids loved it! The principal/supt. answer to those who talked about this said that if a teacher they knew and liked didn't judge people by attire, they would have to determine why they were. By the end of the year things calmed down, and some girls admitted that those mini-skirts were not easy to sit in! This was my social rebellion. (Also, I did not condemn the music choices the kids played in after school activities in my classroom. Remember when strong opinions abound against the younger people playing the music the Beatles were recording? Sounds rather tame now)