Old 02-23-2011, 04:46 PM
sewbizgirl
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Our local charity store doesn't even price anything anymore. If you are interested in something you have to drag it to the checkout counter and after the clerk sizes you up, they make up a price to suit what they think they can soak you for. Definitely have different prices for different folks...

I used to donate nice clothes there a LOT, but the last time I was in the back (warehouse) part of the store where the bigger things are sold, I noticed this huge machine like a trash compactor-- it actually BALED UP loads of clothing into gigantic 'bricks'. I have no idea what they do with these (landfil?) but the back part of the warehouse was stacked to the roof with them. My guess is they don't even look at the clothes you donate... just throw it in the baler!

I go there to keep an eye out for used sewing machines and/or fabric, but they probably wouldn't sell it to me for what I could pay.
they ship them off to 3rd world countries!
I doubt this store could afford to do this. These bales are bigger than the old cotton bales that went by riverboat. The freight would be tremendous. From what I see piled high in their warehouse, they aren't being shipped anywhere. What a fire hazard.