View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 04:54 PM
jaciqltznok
Banned

I lucked into a great buy on vellum paper today with the intentions of using it to print my quilting designs on and then machine quilt over the paper. I had heard/seen that the vellum holds up really well for this.

I have since found out that some people use the vellum for paper piecing!
I am not sure I will like it for PPing, but am willing to try it!

I have used many papers for PPing in the past, my favorites being the hamburger paper from the rest. supply store, and newsprint.
The hamburger wraps are 14" sqs, and I love to use them for string piecing scraps on, the newsprint is standard paper size, and tears off great! It is also really cheap when you can find it!

For foundation piecing I use the used dryer sheets I get neighbors to save for me, and last year lucked out during a cold snap, went to Lowe's and they were throwing out the frost cloth they had used the night before..throwing it out...as in rolling it up and tossing into a huge refrigerator box to go to the dump!
Being the recycler I am, I asked if I could have it...what I don't use as covers in my garden I cut into 13" blocks and now use that for string piecing. I donated 1,000 of those cut pieces to a local charity to use for their foundation and they just loved it!

I also use a product called FUn-da-tion that is heavier than paper and makes the best book marks, ornaments, lapel pins, etc, when I want to do mini work and have it remain stable!

I am curious as to what other papers/foundations people use.