View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 07:04 PM
sunkistmi

I would like to encourage you to continue to take the hand-piecing class. It is great to put the work in progress in your purse or tote and carry it with you to do at the odd time when you are waiting around. With any kind of hand piecing, I found the most important thing is to mark your 1/4" seam on each of the fabric pieces then make sure when pinned together the pin goes thru the marked line on both sides of the fabric. Also never stitch past that 1/4" point at the corners. I usually put 3-4 small running stitches on the needle before I pulled it through and did a backstitch every other needlefull. I found that it was much easier to match seams because you could manipulate the fabric to make it match. It can be very relaxing once you get going. I did a sampler quilt with a different block each month while I was on a mission trip in Alaska. I called it my 'prayer quilt' since with each group of stitches I placed on my needle, I said a prayer for someone or something. As far as them holding up, I guess that would depend on how hard it was used. I still have quilts that my greatgrandmother pieced by hand. Best of luck to you. Believe in yourself and take it one step at a time. Oh, I forget to mention pressing. I am pretty fanatical about my seams so I made sure my seams were well pressed before matching them and sewing. I would use a wood pressing stick when I did not have access to a hot iron. For me, it was my secret "weapon" and I have had many compliments on the blocks. One person thought they had been machine stitched and only when I actually showed her the back did she believe it was hand pieced. You can do it too. Blessings.