Old 02-24-2011, 04:56 AM
Roxanne

Good topic. I don't frequent the stores here locally as I've never found anything that I considered a bargain. But recently with all the conversation here on the board about finding fabric, I decided to try again. I also needed to find a "gag" gown for a Murder Mystery Party so I went this week to several. At the first christian Catholic thrift, there was no organization and I couldn't find anything!
They did have several gowns hanging around the perimeter, but was asking $100 for them and they were dirty.
The second christian ministry thrift has a special $1.00 for all clothing, but again I found nothing. But their clothing was hung and arranged by size and grouped in types so it was easy to look through them .
The third Hospice thrift was beautifully laid out, clean and they had a little more upscale product, but they were expensive. Shirts $4.99!
Goodwill #1 is a bulk warehouse with everything dumped in large bins which you have to go through. I don't have enough time or patience to dig through this stuff looking for a needle in a haystack.
Goodwill #2 had several things that I purchased for our Murder Mystery Party---a mans dress jacket, tie, shoes for $5.73. A womans long dress, a womans new with tag satin robe and a pair of shoes $ 8.73. But, they also had gowns hung and they were not pretty but priced at $99.00 each!

The last place I went is a private thrift store. Boy, were they expensive , but I still found items of interest including fabric. I bought 6 yards of new cotton fabric $6.00 12 skeins of embroidery floss $ 1.00 and 2 evening gowns $14.00---I thought this was a great haul!

So, if you have lots of time and patience I think you can still find some good bargains, but it does require stamina and determination.