Old 02-24-2011, 10:29 AM
materialworld

The thrift stores in my area have weekly half price sale Fridays. So...I think that they overprice for the sales. The Salvation Army here recycles items to their other area stores in the county. If an item doesn't sell, they package and ship to the next Salvation Army in neighboring town. This happens every couple of weeks. The clothing bundles that you see are the last step before shipping overseas to third world countries. Thrift has become a big industry, and try to hire management persons with some expertise in value, or they look up values on the net. Afterall, donations go to good causes also - employment, homeless, feeding the hungry/poor. Why shouldn't thrift stores take advantage of pricing when I see dealers, and ebay vendors shopping in these stores on a constant basis? There's nothing like being in a thrift store shopping with ten other women/men in business suits on their lunch hour. Blame them for the high pricing. The elephant planter is probably a deal. If it is carved wood or porcelain/pottery and imported, it's valuable.