Old 02-24-2011, 12:10 PM
jaciqltznok
Banned

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
I am sorry for your loss. I know that this is a tough time for you & going thru your Mom's things to sort & organize them presents a challenge. Everyone here has offered great ideas and personal experiences. If I may add mine?

My dear Mother died Thanksgiving Day 2007. An avid sewer/quilter, she had shared with me that I could do what I wanted with her sewing things. Her only request was that anything I chose not to keep go for something good, not for someone to make a profit off of. After sorting everything and deciding what I was going to keep, I began searching for who/what to give the remaining stash to. I chose the local chapter of Project Linus for all of the flannel fabric she had for making baby bibs & baby quilts. I chose a local women's shelter for the rest of the fabrics, sewing notions, patterns, etc. This shelter, run by a church organization, had a "Sewing Room" where homeless women could come to learn how to sew, mend their clothes, etc.

It felt so good for me to pass my mother's things to these organizations, explaining to each why they were chosen and telling some about my mom & her request. I know in my heart that my Mom looked down and said, "Well done Daughter, well done".
thanks for sharing that...I actually have it written in my will what is to be done with my things! And all of my kids sew/craft!