View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 12:34 PM
katie1

I can't get the picture to upload. The basic block is a 10 inch square with a pieced 7" square inside, tilted 45 degrees so the points of the inside square are pointed north, south, east,and west. That 7" square is made of three 2 3/8" rectangles. The 4 corners of the 10" square are 4 half square triangles joined to the rectangle/square/diamond on point unit. the tips of the on point inner square (the north, south, east, and west directions) which is now a square diamond shape, are only 1/4" from the side of the block, so when the blocks are joined with the 1/4" seam, Each pointy tip of the square on point touches the tip of the adjoining 4 squares up down left right, theoretically perfectly. There is no wiggle room to true up the blocks because it would come out of the 1/4" seam allowance. i've gotten all of the blocks sewn together, but the quilt's sides and top and bottom are a little wavery, not by much but some. Again, if I true it up at this point, I'd be cutting off part of the 1/4" seam allowance and sewing part of the tips of the inner square off into the seam allowance later when it's joined to the pieced border. I think I'm going to draw a line down the sides and top and bottom where the sewing line should be and use that as my guide, and ignore whether a row is a bit too long. If it's too short, don't know what I'll do except maybe slightly skimp on the 1/4" seam or just pull the border over a bit and leave the final squaring off until after the quilt is quilted. I assume that having it quilted will create a big a of waviness in the sides anyway and it'll have to be squared before I bind it. Does this seem reasonable?