Thread: My first Batik
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 02:42 PM
chuckbere15

After hearing so many wonderful thing about Batiks, I had to try them. When I went to the Quilt store, I was not planning on purchasing these, but I fell in love with the colors and patterns. I plan on making a Dresden plate with these beautiful patterns and colors. After hearing so many wonderful thing about Batiks, I had to try them.

The photos do not do justice to the color of these patterns. They are just about every color of the rainbow.

The ladies at the Quilt store were actually helpful and helped me pick these out and explained to me what a Batik was and the difference. I was afraid to ask that question on the board. Most people have stated the fell of the fabric while I have a hard time feeling fabric, with the MS I have about 50% feeling in my fingers. The ladies remembered me from a month ago or so when I spent $200. It was kinda of fun and exciting, unlike the big box stores.

I only bought a 1/2 yard of each and I have a few questions. I normally wash, dry and iron my fabric before I start to cut the pattern. First, do I need to wash, dry, and iron? Second, will they bleed if I don't? I am putting them on a white background. Lastly, I have heard so much about starching. Does the spray can work just as good? And what is the best way to starch? Or what is the best brand? I never starched before and I need every advantage to make this the best quilt I have done to date.

[bold]Your wisdom will brighten my day![/bold]

This is for the background, it is white with little leaf patterns.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154657[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-153713.jpe   attachment-153714.jpe   attachment-153715.jpe   attachment-153718.jpe   attachment-153719.jpe  

attachment-153720.jpe   attachment-153721.jpe   attachment-153722.jpe   attachment-153954.jpe   attachment-154217.jpe  

attachment-154391.jpe   attachment-154576.jpe   attachment-154652.jpe