View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 04:23 PM
mshawii

This machine comes apart very easily. I have done mine many times. I do all the maintenance on it including adjusting the tension. The big scary one is that front one, but put out a paper towel or two, and then number each piece as it comes off and laid down on the towel. Using a lightly oiled soft cloth, clean each one and then wipe it with a clean non nap towel. once all are clean, put them back in reverse order. The book has excellent instructions on oiling your machine. Also good pictures. There is a big nut on the very bottom of your machine, that holds a protective cover on it. Take it off and dust under it real well. There is a big cog that has a heavy grease on it, and it should be sort of a clear amber color(yellowish). If this is real dark, then get some solvent like paint thinner. I just asked my hubby what it is called! wipe as much off and then use a paint brush to get as much of it off as possible, ask your hubby if he has any wheel bearing grease, and put the grease back on the cogs. you just need enough to cover the cogs but not hanging down. If you take the machine to a sewing machine place they will charge you $150 to do all this and if you do it step by step, you can do it yourself. Oh and you can get this grease at a sewing machine place and it will be $15 or so. I went down to Ace Hardware store and bought mine, a few years back for $3.89. I know I am looking at it. Had hubby dig it out and asked him what to clean it with and put on it, as I am not technically minded for these sort of names.
:lol: If you have any other questions PM me. I could probably talk you thru it all. Jan