View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 05:16 PM
Carron

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I have to do a class for my OHCE group on recycled denim.
While I use denim all the time for repurposed items, I was wondering, what is YOUR favorite thing to use old jeans, jumpers and skirts to make?

I love shopping bags! and rugs!
I make pins and refridgerator magnets from denim. Really simple.....You will be surprised at how very light in weight they are once dried. The color gets a bit lighter also. You can spray with a clear lacquar after dried and this will darken the color somewhat.
Once you objects are dry glue on a pin on the back to wear or glue on a strip of magnet for the refridgerator also you can add a loop at top and run a ribbon through it so it can be hung. Picture #1 cut denim into small sections, this takes less time to process...do not use the strecthy denim.
#2...add about one half (½) cup chopped denim to blender and water about 3 cups. The denim will absorb lots. Turn on blender and let run until denim is no longer in seperate pieces. Depending on blender this could be more than 30 seconds
#3 it will look like a blob....
#4 press this mess into a cookie cuttier, it will be dripping so prepare a place to collect the water.
#5 once the cookie cutter is full and you have pressed as much water out as possible place item on a wire rack. If left on paper towel or the likes it will take longer to dry. Leave to air dry which could take a few days depending on house temperature. You could place in a warm oven but not too high, it will burn otherwise.
#6 Finished.

chop into small lpieces
[ATTACH=CONFIG]115561[/ATTACH]

add to blender
[ATTACH=CONFIG]115562[/ATTACH]

looks like yuck
[ATTACH=CONFIG]115563[/ATTACH]

air dry
[ATTACH=CONFIG]115564[/ATTACH]

press into cookie cutter
[ATTACH=CONFIG]115829[/ATTACH]

and it is done
[ATTACH=CONFIG]115963[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-115556.jpe   attachment-115557.jpe   attachment-115558.jpe   attachment-115559.jpe   attachment-115824.jpe  

attachment-115958.jpe