View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 04:21 AM
SewExtremeSeams

Originally Posted by CloverPatch
I forgot about speed control. My Babylock has it. I don't use it, LOL, it is set to FAST FAST FAST.

I know she could use my machine, BUT I already share my machine with Anna. I so hate having to wait my turn! Then change out the thread, yada yada yada. I figured it would be easier on everybody if there was a second machine, primarily for the kids.
Speed control is definitly a feature I need to look for. Thank you I would have never thought to check on that.
Megan, I would suggest looking on craigslist in your area and getting a Singer for around $50-100.

I let my 3 and 5 year old grandchildren sew with my Singer 221 FW. At this point I usually let them operate the foot pedal and with my arms around them I guide the fabric.

First thing I have taught them is that when Grandma says 'stop', it is time to stop. You wouldn't believe how quickly they have caught on.

Then, with the 5 year old (GS) I let him operate the whole thing by himself with paper for fabric and no thread in the needle. I draw lines on the paper and he has learned to pivot with the needle down and begin sewing again. He could do it for hours and love it.

I have picked up many Singers made in the 50s for not too much. A Singer 15-91 is great. And, you might even want to borrow from your girls! LOL