View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 05:16 AM
MTS
Banned

Personally, I think black & cream quilts are very different from black & white ones.

Generally (but not always) I think B&W's are so graphic, and lively, that a touch of hot pink, lime green, red, whatever, is in the same vein.

I LOVE B&W fabric and I have seen and liked many B&W only quilts that were fabulous. But I prefer them with a little zing - doesn't have to be a lot.

B&C, on the other hand, is a more sophisticated palette. Cream also has a lot more variety than white - you could get a range of values, tone on tones, and textures of just "cream" fabrics, which you can't do with white. I remember a cream only log cabin I saw at Sister's years ago. It was stunning, but had a gazillion cream fabrics in it - you couldn't have gotten the same effect with whites.

You can even see the difference in the nature of the fabrics available in each of the two colorways.

So it really depends on what your plan is for the finished project. Do you need/want it to match your decor? Are you looking for a more elegant setting?

I don't think it's a yes or no question. I think it would/could look great either way.