View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 01:09 AM
purplemem

My Dad has played the guitar semi-professionally for over 70 years. I say semi- because from 1935 to 1950 he had a local radio show where he and his brother played. He has been called to back up/substitute for many professional gospel groups when they have been in need of a guitar player. If you are a gospel music fan, the groups I remember were the Happy Goodman Family and the Florida Boys.

Even now, at 84, he plays in 3 local gospel groups. He goes to the chemotherapy unit at the university hospital here and plays requests while people are waiting/taking the chemo. It helps them concentrate on something happy. He's amazing, can play any southern gospel song, sings tenor, and does this all by ear.

He taught both my brothers and my cousin to play. He plays in two church services each week. He also goes to the Old Folks home and the Home for the Incurables and plays each week. He followed me 1,000 miles and played at all of my churches, giving a gospel concert for free - bringing friends to have a "gospel singing". He plays acoustic and electric.

My best memories are of him singing and playing while I drifted to sleep at night. Since he and Mom are my next door neighbors, I get to hear him practice every day.

He will love this quilt. He takes a nap every afternoon in the recliner. I think he needs a "cover-up". :wink:

It took over two years to find 5 guitar fabrics that weren't "silly".