View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 07:36 AM
moreland

I have done a number this way but I DO use mitered corners. I agree with dunster--that is basic to sewing the binding strips together before putting them on the quilt. If you do this, remember you have to make the strips a lot longer that just the first measurement--Usually 10-12 inches on both ends of the binding. After you sew your angled seam, then I just move over 1/2 inch and stitch across again--cut the tails off between the lines of stitching, press and square them up--you are on your way to half square triangle blocks to use in another project.

Originally Posted by dunster
The problem is at the corners joins if you sew them all together first, unless you are using mitred borders. Imagine it - you sew inner and outer border strips together for the top and bottom, sew them onto the quilt. Now you're probably thinking you can just sew the inner and outer border strips together and add them to the sides, right? (Yes I thought about this too at one time.) :oops: But if you were to just sew the inner and outer border strips together and add to the sides, that pesky inner border would continue all the way, top to bottom, probably not what you want, right? Theoretically you could do it if your corners are mitred though.