Old 02-25-2011, 11:11 AM
samsews

Originally Posted by pheasantduster
My mother always was sewing - out of 3 children, I am the only avid sewer and like Bamamama, I was the one to sew clothes, alterations etc for everyone; but this I loved and often did projects for 'customers' for many years. My mother designated a small room in our house for me to have for all my sewing equipment and stuff. One sister, out of the blue decided to knit and she is a beautiful knitter. Today my daughter has my mother's sewing machine and has made quilted pillows and lap quilts and crafty items. I do her alterations! and repairs. Wouldn't want it any other way. My husband is a jack of all trades and can do anything with a saw and hammer. I don't think this generation appreciates the satisfactions one gets from these activities when they can just buy a replacement.
I have some friends who don't understand why I want to buy what they call "old worn out furniture" and restore it and not just go out and buy new pieces.I try to tell them that the older furnture is made of solid wood and will outlast their new pieces but they don't or don't won't to understand.I enjoy bring the beauty back to a piece of furniture that has been neglected.