Thread: Layout help
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 11:13 AM
quilt'nmomma

Originally Posted by sewTinker
I'm in the process of making a signature quilt. The signature blocks are 5" unfinished, and are very colorful having been drawn on and signed with multicolored fabric pens. what I discovered, the hard way, is that the coordinating blocks need to be simple. I made all the blocks for a scrappy nine patch and fence rail (from a pattern called Sticks and Stones), but they competed in an unfriendly way with the signature blocks. So I am back to the drawing board. Had decided to, instead, make a non-scrappy irish chain quilt... but am now considering a simple star quilt (signature blocks would be the center of the stars with flying geese in the same fabric for the points). Don't know why I'm in such a state of indecision... but I am! :-D good luck to you, and I will keep an eye out for photos of your quilt. What a lovely thing for you to do.
Did you do anything to set the signature blocks? I'm wondering if they will run when washed? I think I'm going to test it when I buy the markers. If they run I was thinking maybe a soak in vinegar.