View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 03:25 PM
lvaughan

Originally Posted by Claddaughquilting
Unfortunately, the price of oil seems to only rise, rarely fall, so I think everyone will have to find ways to reduce. I have started consolidating my messages, so I go out less often, walking more, leaving my car in the driveway.
My DH convinced me two years ago to install a geothermal heating system for our house. We live in the suburbs of Montreal, and paid a substantial amount to be rid of oil heating. Heating with geothermal is cheap, and green! Upfront costs are high, but with the ever increasing price of oil, we think it has a 5 year payback. I have started seeing a few houses in my city converting. Yes, DH was right, it was a good idea.
We installed a ground source heat pump (geothermal) about seven years ago and are very happy with it. Our family has always considered the cost of heating and cooling, we built our house with 2X6 walls with extra insulation in the attic. I would never consider us to be "green", just frugal. My parents lived the same way, it just came down to how you want to spend your money. I would rather spend a little more on something like insulation and geothermal H/A and be more comfortable living in our home. We also drive more fuel efficient vehicles, but to each his own. We must each decide for ourselves. Yes, our decisions can be called "green" but that was not the driving force behind them.