View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 12:50 PM
marty_mo

What piqued your interest in quilting? How did you get started quilting, self taught or classes etc? How do you do things differently now than when you first started? Do you have a picture of your first quilt to share with the forum? Was it a keeper or a gift?

My interest in quilting was piqued when I saw some pre-cut blocks that matched the color and border paper in my parents bedroom. I purchased the blocks and put the quilt together for my parents for Christmas. My mother has since adopted the quilt and claims it was her Christmas present.

I have been sewing for years and taught myself to quilt by surfing info on the Internet and books.

My first quilt I pieced the top and but had the quilt sandwiched and quilted by a local quilter in order to have it completed in time for Christmas. The quilt was not as large as I had hoped but I was clueless at that time about sashing, borders or squaring up a quilt. I also purchased the binding strips for the binding. The lady that quilted for me...said to Never purchase bias strips...use up those scraps to make your binding....hun...off to the Internet to look up quilt binding...lol.

I have completed several quilt they have all been gifts, I have yet to keep a quilt for myself. I started one this fall that is the "keeper" quilt for me and DH.

Attached Thumbnails attachment-33110.jpe