Old 02-26-2011, 07:02 AM
Baloonatic

Originally Posted by Aurora
I washed an empty juice jug and cut off the top, then inserted it into my thread catcher. I just remove the jug to empty my threads at the end of the day. No more picking loose threads out of the bottomand off the sides of the thread catcher.

Also, I use a tool box for quilt guild and UFO days. Here are photos of my best idea for transporting my quilting gear.
Wow what a find, and sew perfect for your needs! I looked all over for a toolbox and finally found a fishing tackle box with a top compartment plus 3 drawers beneath for all my paraphenalia.

I've used thread bunnies for 30 years, but if I can get a plan together I SO want to use the idea of "beginners and enders" and get two quilts sewn at the same time!

I tuck a small piece of foam in the top loop of my cone holder to keep the thread from raveling, especially monofilament. It is just enough to control the thread, but not add to the tension.

Last spring I found my 3' silk wreath on my front porch was being decimated by birds looking for nesting material. Sew I draped narrow strips of fabric scraps (14" or so) on the wreath and the birds helped themselves. I now save the narrowest little strips separate from larger scraps and will be putting them out on the porch again this spring!
The larger fabric scraps and leftover batting pieces are saved and chopped up for stuffing pillows for pet beds which my guild donates to the local animal shelter. We made 185 pet beds last year on our annual sew-a-thon ...that's a lot of scraps!