Old 02-26-2011, 08:09 AM
kellen46

What good idea have you had that would benefit others? How about passing them on just in time for weekend quilting? :-D

Sashing-Sarah709[/quote]

Here is a way to make your own really sturdy pattern paper. Take two sheets of the inexpensive white tissue paper, the kind you get at the dollar tree and a white plastic trash bag. cut open the trash sack to get one layer sheet. sandwich tissue, plastic,tissue and iron with a hot iron. Be careful to trim bag to tissue size or the iron will melt the plastic and you will have to do a clean up. The resulting tissue is very strong, it can be cut or torn but is not fragile. It is translucent and you can easily trace through it. It is great for transferring multi size patterns as you can trace off the size you need and save the original. Also if you want you can use an existing tissue pattern as one of the layers and thus make it stronger for extended use.
Other uses of this idea that I have come up with is to have the top layer be fabric. When I was book binding having the glue leak through was a real problem. Book cloth is expensive and rather boring. By doing this I can have any kind of book cloth I want. I think if you were covering boxes this would be handy too. Also if you are crafting with fragile or making items that need a sturdier paper this is a great solution. Once I sandwiched the tissue with maps to make lampshades. The are still going strong. I also have sandwiched that shiny iridescent tissue with white tissue to make a sturdy paper to cover journals. Works great. I haven't tried it but I am thinking to use two lightweight fabrics with the plastic and seeing if I can make a moisture resistant fabric for lunch bags and such. Easier to sew than oilcloth and cheaper than vinyl coated cloth.