View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 09:44 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Yes, the more I look at it, the more I see. I sure do appreciate the amount of work that she put into it. I can't wait to get it finished. I am not too crazy about the outside part, but the rest of it is lovely. She did a wonderful job picking the fabrics. And it all goes so well together.
The color? Or the blend?

Depending on what kind of shop one is in when choosing the fabrics, you sometimes have to make compromises.
This quilt looks like it has 8 fabrics, which is how the pattern is written in the book.

I like to start with the #4 or #5 fabric and work my up and down. That way you can kind of control some of the colors in the quilt.

But there are times even those have to be swapped out because they don't work anymore with the other fabrics you've chosen. It is not a 15 minute process, by any means, even in a huge store with thousands of bolts (although that allows more options).

In my first one, I had picked the 8 fabrics (even cut some of them), and it was a really good "bloom." But I wasn't thrilled when I started putting them together, and ended up swapping out 4 of them.

The challenge is to make the 9-patches disappear.

You do enough of them :roll: and you can easily spot what will work and what won't, and why.