Old 02-26-2011, 08:14 PM
tellabella

I had a round glass table top from one of those inexpensive side tables..I use it for applique...I put lines on it with Sharpie...up and down and crossed...this way I do not have to press my fabric..I put my fabric down on the glass, I can tape it to the glass, I get the centre point right away and I also get the diagonal lines...I can pick up the glass and put it on a Rubbermaid container with a light in it for tracing...

I am working on Dear Jane blocks but this is a good idea for any paper piecing...when cutting the units for paper pieced block, I didn't want to lose them...I use a box lid, from the cardboard boxes that hold the printer paper, I put a 12 x 12 cork board in it...sell them at Walmart..4 for 10$ or so...and as I cut out the units, I pin them to the cork...this way I can see how they go together...when I cut out the fabric for the units, I pin it next to the units, and I know exactly what fabric is for what...then as I make them I pin them back and I can see the block coming together...I took another cork and drew with a Sharpie tthe size of the block...in this case the triangle and the square and so I can pin it on to see if it needs to be trimmed...I can block it on the cork..it has turned out to work really well for me...