View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 09:48 PM
City

That stuff in the blue can is basically super glue! YUK. I use Sullivans and have done several quilts from a can, and never get gunked needles.
Usually the worst issues come from using way too much spray .. it is sticky on purpose so GO LIGHT.. and don't worry if you miss a spot - it's going to stay. And don't go back over an area .. that will result in way too much stickyness
Never spray the batting .. ever .. it soaks up that stuff.
Don't tightly tape down the backing before spraying (or pinning for that matter) if it's pulled tight at all you will get wrinkles caused by the fabric snapping back into place when the tension is off.\// I don't tape, but some people feel better doing it :)
Back to the spray ... it's good to get help if you can .. LIGHTLY spray the top and put it aside, LIGHTLY spray the back and float on the batting, then float on the top - before smacking it down try to lift and work out any real problems ... I add pins about every 10-12 inches .. keeps things secure when it gets handled over and over.
I have not had a gunked needle since throwing out the once used can of june tailor (&(&* .. nasty stuff. But it was cheap.