View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 04:39 AM
grann of 6

Originally Posted by winterpromise31
Hello! Newbie here. So far, I have only bought fabric on an "as needed" basis. As such, I have no stash! I've been looking through some of the pictures posted around the forums and admire the piles of fabric some of you have at home. :D

How would I go about starting a stash? My hubby is actually encouraging me to buy extra fabric, the sweetheart. I am very lucky. How much should you buy if you don't know what you'll be doing with it? Fat quarters? A yard? More?

Help! Such a dilemma to have! hehe
I agree with what the others are saying. It depends on what type of quilting you like to do. I am trying to use up some of my stash by making charity quilts, so I have been picking up blenders (marbles, tone on tone, bright colors for kids) when I find them at a good price. If it is something I would use for a backing I would get a multiple of 2 yards. I rarely buy less than 2 yards, and never buy fat quarters anymore, as I find I like a full width of fabric for most of what I do. And the only time I ever pay full price for a piece of fabric is if I need something very specific to finish a quilt. Sometimes you will find surprise packages of fabric; really fun to see what is in them. However you do it, just have fun! Enjoy :lol: