View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 08:47 AM
PaperPrincess
Power Poster

My LQS had a fabric sale last summer. They have a beautiful selection of batiks. I wanted to make throws for my 3 friends, so I asked the owner to suggest a simple pattern that would highlight the fabrics. She drew this block on the back of my receipt :) Being a legend in my own mind (after all, I had made 4 whole quilts), I estimated it would take 1 week for each throw. Needless to say my estimates were a bit off, so my 3 friends received a lovely bag of blocks and a promise for Christmas. We got together yesterday and they got their quilts a little late. They look identical, but their favorite color is the main diagonal in each. My 1 week estimate should have been 1 month!

edited to add:

Thanks for all your compliments! The owner just said use a square for the main part and for the triangle, use a smaller square half that size. So in each block there are 4 6 1/2" squares, with a 3 1/4" square used for the corner triangle, which finished at 12 1/2". I used the scrap triangles for some of the borders. The sashing is 1/2". I did QAUG in sections. I did all the quilting on my DSM and used my walking foot for everything except the meander & stipple. The red quilting detail with the 'beads' was done using a walking foot, straight stitch, then switched to a decorative stitch (satin stitch circle) then back to a straight stitch. Three passes around the quilt. I used superior brand metallic thread with a metallic needle and connecting threads cotton in the bobbin. Hope this answers all your questions!

Red one
[ATTACH=CONFIG]118472[/ATTACH]

Blue one
[ATTACH=CONFIG]118473[/ATTACH]

Purple one
[ATTACH=CONFIG]118474[/ATTACH]

Purple quilting detail
[ATTACH=CONFIG]118984[/ATTACH]

red quilting detail
[ATTACH=CONFIG]119109[/ATTACH]

quilt back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]119554[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-118467.jpe   attachment-118468.jpe   attachment-118469.jpe   attachment-118979.jpe   attachment-119104.jpe  

attachment-119549.jpe