View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Joanie2

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
My first husband had a passion for comic books. THOUSANDS of them. So speaking for someone on the receiving end, one who has to dispose of the stuff, I would have preferred not to have had that task. As it is, guess what, I've still got them!! Not out of sentimentality, but the fact that I couldn't get anyone to come to the house to look at and buy. They all wanted me to tote it all to them. THOUSANDS of books in DOZENS of comic boxes. I know enough about them to know not to stick them on a table in a garage sale - quite a few are worth far more than that.

As fate would have it, my current husbands son is 16, just got interested in comics AND is coming here for a visit in May. I made him an offer, sort them, catalog them, and he can 1/2 of whatever we sold them for. He jumped at it. I'll even let him "cherry pick" it ... to an extent.

So thanks for the post, as I would hate to saddle my husband with the chore of sorting out and finding a home for all my sewing stuff. Nobody in my family quilts, and I only have one friend in another state who might be interested. Knowing my husband, I suspect he'd chuck it all!!
My gosh! We could be related. At least in the comic book sense. My DH has been collecting comic books for years and my house is loaded with them as well. Over the last few years I have lost several very close quilting friends from Cancer or Heart Attacks and it made me think long and hard. I told my DH that if he were to go before me he'd better have a plan for his comic books. He said our 3 sons would get first pick and then I have a person to call about buying the rest. He has his all cataloged. Since I belong to a guild I thought about giving to them but instead I called my sister who lives on the East Coast and asked her if she was interested, knowing full well that she would have to come and get it. I introduced her to quilting about 6 years agoand she's hooked. She said she would love to have first pick as she hasn't accummulated much of a stash and I have quite a lot. So she will do that and then call my closest friends who will go through the remaining stuff to take what they want. There is a catch... each must make at least a few for charity.

One of my very first mentors had a fabulous hand made quilt that literally had appliqued hands of all the members of her family on it with signatures. It was so beautiful and very close to her heart and she asked that when she passed she wanted to be wrapped up in it. And that's what her family did. Sad to see this piece of history go but so happy her wishes were fulfilled by her family.