Old 02-27-2011, 11:21 AM
frannella

Dear Ladies--

I was looking for a sewing or cooking show on PBS to get me through cleaning out the refrigerator on a Sunday morning and stumbled across HSN while flipping channels. Ordinarily I don't look for opportunities to spend money, much less watch HSN, but HSN was promoting Singer sewing machine sales in connection with Singer's 150th anniversary and in anticipation of National Craft Month (in March) so I left it on while I tossed leftovers.

Their sewing show put me in mind of the aspiration I have nourished for years to make a Baltimore Beauty as soon as I retire. I can't retire yet, but my thoughts turn increasingly to a master-level quilt undertaking. I have 2 machines--a ca 1964 Singer Touch and Sew I have had since jr. high and a $150 electronic Brother from Costco. I will never part with the T&S, but acknowledge it does have some limitations.

If money were no object, never mind that it always is, what general quilting sewing machine with specialized embroidery and applique features (embroidery, applique, welting, cording, invisible stitching, etc.) do you suggest I get if I want the full benefits that a high-quality precision machine offers? I am not looking for something so complicated that a "Go-to" machine is also needed when the "good" machine is viewed as too much trouble for a small project or "regular" sewing. I am hoping I don't need 2 new machines, but I am serious about the goals and totally open to your advice and recommendations.

Many thanks,

Fran in Northern California